WHAT ARE THE GOLD AWARDS?
The Wellington Gold Awards in association with The Dominion Post celebrate the excellence and enterprise of business in the Wellington Region.
Since established in 1999, they have become an eagerly anticipated event on the corporate and social calendar.
Each year the Gold Awards have grown in size and stature.
We have witnessed Wellington transform herself from a grey civil service town to a hive of entrepreneurial activity and home to some world class businesses and events.
The Gold Awards are successful because:
• they highlight the vital contribution that business makes to our region
• high quality businesses are involved - both as Sponsors and Entrants
• the quality of competition and the judging process mean that participation and success have real value to those businesses that enter
• they bring together private and public sector organisations across all industry sectors in a feel-good night of celebration
• it’s a fun night out and a great event!
The Wellington Gold Awards are a showcase of our business talent and capability and are a way of paying tribute to those who are building our community.
The Gold Awards are held annually in TSB Bank Arena, Wellington and are attended by over 1,000 guests, including Members of Parliament, the region’s Mayors and many business leaders.
The Gold Awards are open to businesses in the Greater Wellington Region.
The 2017 Gold Awards will take place on Thursday July 6th 2017.
Entries open in early February each year. This kicks off a 5 month programme from gathering the entries over the 2 rounds of judging and the finalists announcement until the awards night in July.
The Wellington Gold Awards have 8 main industry Categories and 3 Best Practice Awards, as follows:
• CREATIVE GOLD ~ film, media & creative content
• CYBER GOLD ~ technology
• DISCOVERING GOLD ~ research & development projects
• EMERGING GOLD PRODUCTS ~ small businesses, fewer than 10 staff
• EMERGING GOLD SERVICES ~ small businesses, fewer than 10 staff
• GLOBAL GOLD - exporters
• SUPPORTING GOLD ~ infrastructure & professional services
• VIBRANT GOLD ~ events, hospitality & tourism facilities
• ACC WORKPLACE SAFETY ~ workplace safety
• GREEN GOLD ~ sustainability practices
• TEAM GOLD ~ investment in people,HR and wellness programmes
You can view the winners in each category since 1999 here...
HOW ARE THEY JUDGED?
The Judging Process is as follows:
1. Nominations and Entries are sought via The Dominion Post advertising and a general Entry Drive.
2. All Entrants select the Category best suited to their organisation and complete the standard Entry Form. They may also choose to enter one, two or all three of the Best Practice Awards.
3. In Round 1 the 35 Gold Awards Judges assess the entries in each Category and independently select their top 5. The Judges selections are then collated to determine the Finalists in each category.
4. The Finalists Entry Forms then go into Round 2 to be reassessed. The Judges rate them against each other to determine the Winner of each Category.
5. The Judges also select the Winner of the supreme award - The Dominion Post Wellington Gold Award.
This whole process takes about 20 weeks, with the Finalists being announced about 6 weeks before the event at a Finalists Announcement Function.
WHO ELSE IS INVOLVED?
The Wellington Gold Awards are effective because leading businesses have supported the concept from the outset. This Private/Public sector partnership is one of the most successful characteristics of the Gold Awards.
The Dominion Post, as lead sponsor, give extensive advertising as well as editorial coverage across the whole Gold Awards process, from the time of nominations, entries, through the Finalists Announcement, to the event itself.
The Dominion Post leads a group of committed businesses in championing our local business heroes.
The 4 cities of Wellington: Hutt City, Upper Hutt City, Porirua City and Wellington City were inaugural partners. More recently they were joined by the South Wairarapa District Council, Masterton District Council, Carterton District Councils and the Greater Wellington Regional Council.
We are very proud to have long term corporate partners in PwC,The Wellington Company, Beca, ACC, ANZ, Meredith Connell and Wellington Airport.
More recently they have been joined by Southern Cross Health Society, NZTE, Immigration New Zealand and Hawkins .
High quality entrants are the life blood of any awards. Each year over 300 businesses are nominated across the 11 categories. These are distilled into almost 100 entries from which the 11 winners and a supreme winner are chosen.
The quality and range of Entrants since 1999 (as demonstrated in the Winners List) is essential to the event. We applaud all of the businesses who step forward each year and take the time to enter the Gold Awards.
From the global brands like Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, Icebreaker, Xero, Trilogy, Pukeko Pictures and phil&teds to those about to go global like Ata Rangi, Matakina, Wedgelock and Radiola Aerospace.
Then there are the more localised heroes: Boomrock, WoW, Matterhorn, Tuatara Brewing, Tranzit Group, The NZ Festival, Wings over Wairarapa and all the others that make the Wellington region tick.
The Wellington Gold Awards were set up to inspire others and tell the many stories, some that may otherwise go untold.
The Judges are another vital ingredient of the Gold Awards.
Thirty five business and community leaders make up the group that decide the Winners. This ‘peer evaluation’ makes the process both robust and of real value to the winners.
Each Judge also assesses all the entries independently, eliminating any of the lobbying or pressure that can sometimes occur with judging panels.
For more details about sponsorship packages please contact:
04 384 6417 or 027 208 8780